Our "Beginnings" Program, which is held in the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Early Stage Center, is a social gathering for older adults with early or mid-stage Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and other neurocognitive disorders. Each meeting offers social, intellectual, and physical engagement in an uplifting and safe environment. Our goal is for each of our members to experience authentic joy and connection with others whenever they join us.
To join “Beginnings,” potential members must be:
- Living with early or mid-stage Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, or a related neurocognitive disorder
- Independent in activities of daily living
- 60 years of age or older; younger adults considered on a case by case basis.
Our team meets with potential members before their admission to the “Beginnings” program. During this initial meeting, potential members and their families have the opportunity to discuss “Beginnings” with group leaders to ensure the program will be a mutual fit.
Benefits of Joining
You will experience what makes “Beginnings” special the moment you enter our meeting space and see our group in action. The benefits of participation in “Beginnings” include:
- Enhanced Well-Being: Social engagement can improve one’s cognitive functioning while reducing symptoms of clinical depression and other mental health challenges. More than an affirming social experience, “Beginnings” includes group meditation, yoga, and healthful food for members.
- Creative Programming: The interests of our members determine what we do together. Guest lecturers from leading cultural organizations frequently join us. Past guests have included a flutist from Lincoln Center, a docent of Friends of the High Line, and a salsa dance teacher.
- Welcoming Community: Our diverse members include retired professionals, artists, homemakers, and teachers. We all share a lifelong passion for learning and a commitment to accepting people as they are. Together, we rise above the challenges of neurocognitive disorders and continue to enjoy everything life has to offer.
- Intimate Gathering: We limit our membership so that each person is able to connect with others without getting lost in the crowd. Our small size also ensures that each of our members receives individualized attention.
“Beginnings” is especially beneficial for people who prefer to remain in their homes and age in place, but still desire to be part of an active and welcoming community. Our program also provides respite and support to family caregivers, who can recharge with peace of mind while their friend or family member benefits from our unique program.
The “Beginnings” program meets each week on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. The program begins promptly at 11am and ends at 2pm.
The fee is $85 per session.